Search Box

Links to Culture Cafe Episodes!

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Here Comes The Nighttime

I had a festival this weekend so we're delaying the licenses episode until next week. Sorry!


     I probably haven't mentioned it but I write articles periodically for my school's website - and town newsletter for that matter. They dubbed it "Joshua's Corner" and this week I wanted to share what I wrote. I'll also throw in some pictures!

Note: I write these in English and they're later translated into Japanese.

     The festival season is here! Summer festivals are one of the best - and most unique - parts of Japanese life. Every now and again this time of the year can become too hot to want to do much but it’s never so bad that I would skip out on these celebrations; they’re one of the things I look forward to the most here. These events touch upon so many of my senses that they’re instantly memorable no matter where I am. The cry of the cicada provides a wonderful soundtrack to accompany vendors selling their wares both of which become lost in the laughter and joy of children who run about. Seeing people walk among the crowds in their colorful Yukata creates a fantastic backdrop against the illuminated night. The smell of the foods lures one from stall to stall, filling up on delicious treats. Above all else, nothing beats watching fireworks at night with friends, when the sky comes alive. This is summer in Japan.


You want it, they'll fry it.



It's going to get a lot more crowded soon.


Me watching everyone watch the dance performances.

I think that lady is taking a picture of me.

Starting to pick up a little bit more now.

Nowhere other than a festival would I pay 500 yen for that.

Plenty Of Message

Niku Maki Cheese. Amazing.

Mitsuko's go to favorite: Bucket o' fried chicken.

Stacked and ready to serve.

Awaiting the next performance.


Seriously, this is the best food.

Starting to fill up now.


Not pictured: Anyone's face.

I think that lady in the middle looked at just the right time.

Waiting for fireworks off to the side.

Taiyaki after the fireworks were over.

Really wanted to try that lemonade, but we were out of money.
I really want a professional camera now.

 So that was it for the Hatano Matsuri. Still not sure if it was Hatano, or Hata No... Anyway, it was a good time and I was able to see a lot of my kids all throughout the day. A few of them even sat with us so we could watch the fireworks together. It was a great night, and not even that hot at all, which made it all the better. The humidity was also extremely tolerable, neither of us were muggy the entire night.

Next weekend there are more events but I do promise to get an episode of the podcast up by then. We'll talk about festivals most likely after licenses are done.

See you,

Joshua



No comments:

Post a Comment